Last year I made a very strange looking Christmas log, I kind of went decoration random on it.
This year, I wanted to make a roll cake that was going to look very simple but taste great Also, I wanted to make one with no frosting. I kept it very minimalistic, the only decorations are the mushroom meringues and the powdered sugar.
The mascarpone frosting in this is divine! I was not sure what to expect since I had never tried mascarpone before. In my opinion the taste is a mix between whipped cream, cream cheese and butter. If you can’t find mascarpone, you can always substitute with cream cheese, the consistency is very similar.
Chocolate and Mascarpone Yule Log
for the cake
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml)baking powder
- 1 oz (1 oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) brown sugar
icing sugar, for dusting
for the filling
- 1 cup (250 ml) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% whipping cream
- Icing sugar
- Meringue mushrooms
for the cake
- Move the rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper letting it hang slightly over the shorter sides (for easy removal). Butter and flour the parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Reserve.
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the chocolate, butter, and cocoa powder. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until the the mixture lightens and triples in volume (about 5 minutes).
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients and fold in the chocolate mixture with a spatula.
- Spread the batter evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Right out of the oven, invert the cake onto a clean cloth, dusted liberally with icing sugar. Remove the parchment and dust with more icing sugar. Roll the still warm cake with the towel from the short side. Let cool completely.
- Beat the mascarpone, sugar and vanilla with a mixer for 1 minute. Drizzle in the cream, beating until stiff peaks form.