Today, I had a mission to accomplish; making the perfect cake without dying of a chocolate overdose. This cake was made for my father in law and I am very happy with the outcome.
I have always been afraid of using mayonnaise in cake, but now I see that that fear was absolutely unfounded. Mayonnaise makes soft, fluffly beautiful cakes! I’m a new fan!
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chopped)
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups regular mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Nutella Buttercream Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2-9 inch cake pans with butter and flour.
- In a heat proof bowl, combine chocolate and cocoa powder. Add boiling water and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, beat both sugars and mayonnaise until well blended. Add vanilla and beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides and mix in for 30 seconds.
- Divide batter among prepared cake pans (about 3 cups for each).
- Bake cakes until toothpick comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks 20 minutes. Run small knife around sides of cakes to loosen. Carefully invert cakes onto racks and let cool completely before frosting.
- I topped my cake with ferrero rocher chocolates.
Recipe from: epicurious.com