French Onion Soup
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1 large white onion
- 1 ½ large spanish onions
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp of chopped garlic
- 3 ⅔ cups of water
- 3 heaping teaspoons of dried chicken broth
- 1 tsp. of beef chicken broth
- ¼ cup of red wine
- Bay leaf
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. of parsley
- a few slices of french bread or baguette
- cheese (whichever you want to use, honestly)
- fresh ground pepper
1. While the butter is melting in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Slice the onions finely and add to the saucepan, stir frequently until wilted.
2. Add pinch of sugar and stir frequently until the onions are completely caramelized (13-15 minutes).
3. Add garlic, water, broth and wine to the onions, bay leaf, thyme and parsley in soup and stir. Lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Discard sprig and bay leaf and serve with crouton and cheese.
5. Since I don’t have any oven-safe bowls, I put my bread topped with shredded cheese and fresh ground pepper on a baking sheet and broil for a few minutes. I drop my piece of cheesy bread on top of the soup and serve with a side of salad.