Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
Yield: about 28 cupcakes or 3 (8×2) inch cakes
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 tbsp vanilla paste)
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1¼ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake trays or grease& flour cake pan.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3. In your mixing bowl, mix butter and vanilla bean seeds (keep your empty pods to make vanilla sugar). Beat on medium-high speed until light and creamy in color.
4. Add ¼ cup of sugar to the butter mixture at a time until well incorporated. Mix in the eggs one at a time.
5. Combine the buttermilk and the vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup.
6. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated.
7. Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full (you will likely have batter left over after filling 24 wells.)
8. Bake 18-22 minutes (or more for a cake), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
20 tbsp. (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. heavy cream
1. Beat butter until smooth.
2. Add icing sugar and salt for about 45 seconds
3. Add vanilla and heavy cream and beat for about 5 minutes.